Estimation of Urinary Delta Aminolevulinic Acid (δ-ALA) Levels in Students of Age Group 15 to 25 Years as an Index of Lead Exposure

Main Article Content

Sachin A. Patharkar
Suraj H. Jain
Alka V. Nerurkar
Neelam J. Patil
Pradeep N. Surve

Abstract

Background: Lead poisoning is a serious and sometimes fatal condition. It occurs when lead builds up in the body. Students exposed to lead by eating junk foods wrapped in newspaper, the licking of fingers for turning the photocopies, book pages, printout etc. and use of same fingers for eating purpose. Additionally young population get exposed to lead by use of Kohl or Kajal eyeliners, some traditional ethnic medicines, time spent at firing ranges and some hobbies like wall paintings or jobs related to plumbing and soldering. Damage caused by lead poisoning cannot be reversed. Lead inhibits necessary enzymes required for heme synthesis, and this result in increased levels of delta-aminolevulinic acid (δ-ALA) excretion through urine.

Aim: To Estimate the urinary δ-ALA levels in the students of age group 15 to 25 years as an index of lead exposure.

Study Design: This is a cross-sectional study in Mumbai from a suburban locality.

Methodology: The study was done on 70 students of age group between 15 years and 25 years with their brief history related to lead exposure. Their urine samples were analyzed for δ-ALA by using Ehrlich reagent.

Results: According to our observation, out of 70 students 46 student’s (65.71%)urine samples shown δ-ALA level  above reference level and remaining 24 (34.28%) were considered as below reference level.

Conclusion: The prevalence of lead exposure among our study population is 65.71%.

Clinical Significance: We conclude that there is high prevalence of lead exposure in students of age group 15 to 25 years in Mumbai and necessary precautions need to be taken to avoid detrimental effects of lead poisoning.

Keywords:
Blood lead levels, lead exposure in students in Mumbai, Urinary δ ALA.

Article Details

How to Cite
Patharkar, S. A., Jain, S. H., Nerurkar, A. V., Patil, N. J., & Surve, P. N. (2020). Estimation of Urinary Delta Aminolevulinic Acid (δ-ALA) Levels in Students of Age Group 15 to 25 Years as an Index of Lead Exposure. International Journal of Biochemistry Research & Review, 29(4), 12-16. https://doi.org/10.9734/ijbcrr/2020/v29i430181
Section
Original Research Article

References

Gould E. Childhood lead poisoning: Conservative estimates of the social and economic benefits of lead hazard control. Environ. Health Perspect. 2009;117(7): 1162–1167.

Chandramouli K, Steer CD, Ellis M, Emond AM. Effects of early childhood lead exposure on academic performance and behaviour of school age children. Arch. Dis. Child. 2009;94(11):844–848.

Advisory Committee on Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention. Low Level Lead Exposure Harms Children: A Renewed Call for Primary Prevention. 2012:1–68.
Available:http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/lead/ACCLPP/Final_Document_030712.pdf. [Accessed March 6, 2012]

Patharkar SA, Benwal SJ, Nerurkar AV, et al. Estimation of urinary delta aminolevulinic acid levels in garage workers as an index of lead exposure. Indian J Med Biochem. 2019;23(3):312–315.

Kappas A, Sassa S, Galbraith RA, Nordmann Y. In: Scriver CR,Beaudet AL, Sly WS, Valle D, editors. The metabolic basis ofinherited diseases. 7th Ed. USA: McGraw Hill. 1995;2103–59.

Tomokuni K, Ogata M. Simple method for determination of urinary delta aminolevulinic acid as an index of lead exposure. Clin Chem. 1972;18(12):1534–1536.

Katsumaro Tomokuni, Masayoshi Ichiba and Yukio Hirai. Measurement of urinary δ-aminolevulinic acid (ALA) by fluorometric HPLC and colorimetric methods. Industrial Health. 1992;30:119-128.

Cramer K, Selander S. Studies in lead poisoning: Comparison between different laboratory tests. Br J Ind Med. 1965; 22(4):311–314.
DOI:10.1136/oem.22.4.311

Tanabe Y. Metabolism of delta-aminolevulinic acid (δ-ALA) and porphobilinogen in lead poisoning. I. Amounts of δ-ALA and PBP in the urine and blood. Jap. J. Nat.Health. 1959;28: 386-397.

Masana OGATA, Toyohiro TAGUCHI. Quantitative determination of urinary delta-aminolevulinic acid as an index of lead exposure by high performance Liquid Chromatography. Industrial Health. 1986; 24:259-264.

Patharkar S, Chavan S, Phadke MS, Patil N, Bokankar DK. Estimation of urinary δ aminolevulinic acid levels (δ-ALA) in children of age group 1 to 5 years as an index of lead exposure. MRIMS J Health Sciences. 2018;6(1):16-19.

Wada O, Toyokawa K, Urata G, Yano Y, Nakano K. A simple method for the quantitative analysis of urinary delta-aminolevulinic acid to evaluate lead absorption, Br. J. Ind. Med. 1969;26:240.

Katsumaro Toniokuni, Yuklo Hiral. Factors affecting determination of δ-aminolevulinate by use of ehrlich’s reagent. Clin. Chem. 1986;32/1:192-193.